- 10 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger, or more to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Combine flour, white sugar, molasses, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a large bowl. Mix in vegetable oil and egg until combined. Pour in boiling water and whisk until smooth.
- Drop dough in balls onto prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart, using a 1-ounce cookie scoop.
- Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and golden, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring onto a rack to cool completely.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, butter, cream, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer on low until combined. Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons of filling onto the bottom of a cookie; top with another similarly sized cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies. Chill for 30 minutes.
Gingerbread Whoopie Pies, recipe