- 1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavored extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Make the streusel: In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the melted butter. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs. Beat on low speed with an electric mixer just until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes longer. Spread 1/2 of the batter into a greased 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle on 1/2 of the streusel mixture. Carefully spread the remaining 1/2 of the cake batter over the streusel, and sprinkle with the remaining streusel.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool slightly, then drizzle with the powdered sugar icing. Best if served warm. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
- To make the Icing: In a small bowl, combine confectioners sugar with vanilla and butter flavoring. Add a few drops of water until you achieve drizzling consistency.
graham streusel coffee cake, recipe