- 1 pound dry navy beans
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- Place the beans in a slow cooker with enough water to cover, and soak 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.
- Drain the beans, and return to the slow cooker. Cover with water, and mix in the carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, and ham.
- Cover slow cooker, and cook soup on High for 3 1/2 hours. Switch to Low, and continue cooking at least 6 1/2 hours. The longer it cooks the more flavorful it becomes.
Grandma B's Bean Soup, recipe