- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups white sugar
- 8 cups diced rhubarb
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Combine butter, 1 1/2 cups flour, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a mixing bowl; beat until combined with an electric mixer. Press mixture into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Bake crust in preheated oven until firm, about 15 minutes. Remove and let crust cool.
- In large mixing bowl, combine 6 egg yolks, remaining 1/4 cup flour, evaporated milk, 2 cups sugar, and rhubarb. Stir together and pour over cooled crust.
- Bake pie in oven until filling is set, about 1 hour.
- For meringue, beat 6 egg whites in a large bowl using an electric mixer until whites are foamy. Beat in 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla extract until the mixture holds stiff peaks. Spread meringue over rhubarb filling.
- Return pie to oven and bake until meringue is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
grandma's rhubarb torte, recipe