- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) package baby portobello mushrooms, stemmed and roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper, or to taste, divided
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (such as King Arthur®)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (such as Natural by Nature®)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch glass baking pan.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice to make an ice bath.
- Fill a large pot with water and add 1 tablespoon salt; bring to a boil. Add green beans; boil until fork-tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and immediately plunge them into the ice bath. Drain again. Pat dry with a kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; saute for 1 minute. Add mushrooms; saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper. Remove from heat. Toss in the cooked green beans. Transfer mixture to the baking pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and flour in the skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1 minute. Add milk slowly, whisking until the roux is creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper. Add roux to the pan, tossing to coat the green bean-mushroom mixture.
- Combine pumpkin seeds, bread crumbs, and 2 teaspoons oil in a food processor. Pulse about 10 times until ground. Season with salt; pulse once more. Top green bean-mushroom mixture with the pulsed pumpkin seed mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Green Bean Casserole with Pumpkin Seed Crumble (Eat Clean for Thanksgiving), recipe