- 4 whole chicken legs
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 bunch green onions, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon red curry powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups 1-inch sweet potato chunks
- 1 1/2 cups 1-inch eggplant chunks
- 1 bunch fresh Thai basil leaves, torn
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Season chicken legs with salt on all sides.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat; place chicken legs in the pan and cook until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Place coconut milk, water, garlic, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, and green onion into a blender. Cover and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Stir in sliced onion and ginger; cook until sizzling, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle red curry powder over onions and ginger; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Place chicken legs in a single layer on top of onions and ginger. Pour pureed coconut mixture, lime juice, fish sauce, and brown sugar over the chicken.
- Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, skimming off any fat, until chicken legs are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove chicken from the Dutch oven.
- Stir potatoes into coconut milk mixture, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Stir in eggplant; cook until potatoes and eggplant are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir basil into coconut milk mixture; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return chicken to coconut milk mixture; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes.
Green Coconut Chicken, recipe