- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup fennel, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 eggs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated crescent rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, fennel, and garlic. Cook and stir until the fennel is tender, and the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the fennel seed and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1 minute more. Meanwhile, beat the egg in a bowl, then mix in the ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, and salt. Add the cooked vegetable mixture, and stir until combined.
- Separate the crescent roll dough into two squares. Divide the meat mixture among the crescent roll squares, then seal the dough around the meat. Place seam-side-down onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the pastry has turned golden-brown, and the center of the pastries registers 160 degrees F (71 degrees C) on a kitchen thermometer, about 30 minutes. Slice and serve.
ground beef 'wellington' with fennel, Main Dish recipe