- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups frozen, cubed butternut squash
- 2 MacIntosh apples, cored and cubed
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed (optional)
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and diced (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until lightly browned on all sides. Stir in the garlic and onion, and continue to cook until the onion has softened, and the pork is firm, and no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Place the pork and onions into a large saucepan. Pour in the chicken broth, and season with salt, rosemary, sage, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the butternut squash, apples, potatoes, and carrots. Return to a simmer, then cook, uncovered until the squash and apples are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and serve.
Harvest Pork Stew, recipe