- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 (10 inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 (12 ounce) jar taco sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cook chicken in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, until no longer pink and juices run clear, about 10 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Drain excess fat. Cube chicken and return to skillet. Add onion, sour cream, 1 cup Cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano, and ground black pepper. Heat until cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Stir in salt, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, garlic, and black beans.
- Roll even amounts of mixture into tortillas. Arrange in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Cover with taco sauce and 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Healthier Chicken Enchiladas, recipe