- 1 (16 ounce) package dried navy beans
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pour water over navy beans in a large container to cover by several inches; soak 8 hours to overnight.
- Combine soaked beans, chicken broth, water, onion, celery, garlic, and bay leaf in a large pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until beans are almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir tomato paste and sea salt into bean mixture; simmer soup another 45 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Ladle about half the soup into a large bowl; pour soup into a blender, working in batches, filling blender no more than half full. Hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend until smooth. Pour pureed soup into pot with unblended soup; stir in parsley and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Hearty Bean Soup, recipe