- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 4 hot dog buns, split and toasted
- Place ground beef, ground pork, salt, paprika, black pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, smoked paprika, and ice water in a bowl. Mix together with fingers until well blended and mixture is dense and solid, about 4 minutes. It's okay to overmix. Wrap dough in plastic; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap on a work surface. Have a bowl of ice water nearby to keep your hands wet and cold. Place 1/4 of the mixture on the plastic wrap. Roughly shape meat into a thick roll and wrap with the plastic. Shape into a thinner roll about as long as a hot dog bun. You can unroll the plastic and "fine tune" the sausage shape after wetting your hands in ice water. Rewrap in plastic and place on a dish; repeat for the remaining sausages. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Carefully place sausages on grill and let them cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes to seal the bottom edge. Gently turn completely over to brown the opposite side; cook until brown, about 2 minutes. Brown all surfaces, turning carefully to avoid breaking the sausages, about 5 minutes more. Remove sausages from grill and serve on toasted hot dog buns.
Hot Dog Sausages, recipe