- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 slice cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Toss kale with carrot, orange juice, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper in a large salad bowl, using your hands to rub orange and lemon juice into kale leaves. Let stand a few minutes to absorb flavors.
- Fill a bowl with ice water. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and stir onion into boiling water; cook just until starting to soften, 15 to 30 seconds. Drain and immediately immerse onion in ice water. Drain ice water, blot onion dry on paper towels, and add to kale. Stir bacon, mayonnaise, and olive oil into kale mixture and toss to coat. Can be made several hours ahead of time and refrigerated until serving time.
Kale Slaw, recipe