- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 2 pounds collard greens, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans (optional)
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat until butter melts and starts to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and bay leaves.
- Pour chopped tomatoes, vegetable broth, brown sugar, molasses, and liquid smoke into the pot; bring to a simmer. Stir in collard greens gently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes.
Kickin' Vegetarian Collard Greens, recipe