- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 8x4 inch bread pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, poppy seeds and 2 1/2 cups white sugar. Add the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and lemon extract; mix until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean. Cool loaves in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Combine orange juice with remaining 3/4 cup sugar and desired flavor of extract; stir well. Pour this mixture over the loaf while it is still hot. Allow loaf to cool completely before serving.
lemon poppy seed bread, recipe