- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for an additional minute.
- Stir the vodka, crushed tomatoes and light cream into the onion mixture, turn heat to high, and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stir in the Romano cheese and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Season finished sauce with salt and pepper.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the penne, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink. Transfer pasta to a large bowl and pour vodka sauce over, tossing to coat pasta with the sauce to serve.
LJ's Easy Penne with Vodka Sauce, recipe