- cooking spray
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk the whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger together in a large bowl until evenly combined. Use your fingers to make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites, skim milk, yogurt, raw sugar, canola oil, and vanilla extract until smooth; mix in the chopped apple.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients, and mix to make a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 full.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool the muffins in their cups for about 5 minutes before removing to finish cooling on wire racks.
Low-Fat Apple Spice Muffins, recipe