- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed chicken gumbo soup
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large heavy skillet, cook ground beef until evenly brown; drain well.
- In a slow cooker, combine onion, bell pepper, celery, condensed gumbo soup, tomato paste and brown sugar. Stir in lemon juice, mustard, ketchup, barbeque sauce and vinegar. season with Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, parsley, black pepper and salt. Stir in browned beef.
- Cover, and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Skim off excess fat.
Mark's Nearly Famous Sloppy Joes, recipe