- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, or more to taste
- 2 cups hot vegetable broth
- 2 cups texturized vegetable protein (TVP)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 (32 ounce) can canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add bell peppers, poblano peppers, onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook and stir until soft, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Combine hot vegetable broth and TVP in a bowl; stir and let sit until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add to the slow cooker.
- Place diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, tomato paste, beer, vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice, chili powder, cocoa powder, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cumin, oregano, liquid smoke, black pepper, and sugar into the slow cooker. Mix to combine.
- Cook chili on Low for 6 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours.
Meat-Lovers' Vegetarian Chili, recipe