- 8 yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, or as needed
- 1 1/2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt into a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, stir in garlic powder, and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; mash potatoes until no lumps remain.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until golden and tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir onions, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper into mashed potatoes. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Stir 4 eggs, matzo meal, and a pinch of salt into potato mixture. Spread potato mixture into prepared baking dish and brush top with beaten egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the center of the kugel comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Meme's Potato Kugel, recipe