- cooking spray
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed and cored
- 2 yellow bell peppers, stemmed and cored
- 2 orange bell peppers, stemmed and cored
- 1 teaspoon Texas barbeque rub, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 mild green chile pepper, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (such as Sam Adams Boston Lager®)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked instant white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray an 9x12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Rub the red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, and orange bell peppers with barbeque rub; arrange in the baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir chicken, onion, green chile pepper, jalapeno pepper, turmeric, coriander, cumin, salt, and pepper until chicken and onion are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add beer to chicken mixture; reduce heat to low, cover skillet, and simmer until beer is reduced by half and chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes.
- Fill bell peppers with chicken mixture. Pour stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chickpeas into the baking dish, around the bell peppers. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and add rice and Mexican cheese blend on top of the tomato mixture around the bell peppers; continue cooking until cheese is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Mexican Chicken Stuffed Peppers, recipe