- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound rump roast, cut into small cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat; saute rump roast until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onions and garlic; saute until onions are softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves into meat and vegetables; cook and stir until meat and vegetables are coated in seasonings, about 2 minutes. Add beef stock, enchilada sauce, green chile peppers, and tomato paste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer until meat is tender, about 50 minutes.
- Stir pinto beans into soup, mashing beans to thicken if desired; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Mexican Chili Soup, recipe