- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 3 cups water
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil over a medium-low heat. Place the onions in the pan, and saute until golden.
- Add rice to pan, and stir to coat grains with oil. Mix in green bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, tomato sauce, salt, garlic, saffron, and water. Cover, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally.
Mexican Rice, recipe