- 1 1/3 cups cake and pastry flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Edible gold flakes or sugar for garnish
- Italian Meringue Frosting:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 24 mini muffin cups or line with paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake and pastry flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, egg, food colouring and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture and whisk until smooth and well-combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until toothpick in centre comes out clean. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Italian Meringue Frosting: In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let mixture boil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
While beating, add the hot sugar syrup in a steady stream and beat for about 5 minutes or until glossy stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with gold flakes or sugar as desired.
Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes with talian Meringue Frosting, recipe