- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, cut into medium dice
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dark or golden raisins
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (24 ounce) package refrigerated mashed potatoes, warmed in the microwave according to instructions
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Heat 2 Tbs. oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon and cloves; cook about 1 minute. Add meat, stirring to break it up, and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and raisins; simmer 10 minutes.
- Arrange eggplant slices on a lipped cookie sheet. Brush both sides with remaining oil, and season with salt and pepper. Broil on upper oven rack, turning once with kitchen tongs, until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Reduce heat to 400 degrees. Lay eggplant in a single layer over meat mixture. Whisk egg into mashed potatoes; spread over eggplant. Bake on lower rack until sauce is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Moussaka Cottage Pie, recipe