- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 (10 ounce) packages sliced mushrooms
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bring the barley and water to a boil in a saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stir in the onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Pour in beef broth, and bring soup to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and continue simmering 15 minutes. Stir in barley, and season with salt and pepper before serving.
Mushroom Barley Soup, recipe