- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed (optional)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 2 baking sheets.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl until evenly blended. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or your hands until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in the raisins, currants, and caraway seeds, then make a well in the center and pour in the milk and vinegar. Stir with a spoon until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface, and knead gently 8 to 10 times. Divide the dough into two balls, and place onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake until the top of the bread is golden brown, about 15 minutes more.
nana dot's rish soda bread, Quick Bread recipe