- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To Make Lemon Filling: In a double boiler, combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Stir in water, mixing well. Cook until mixture is thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks in a medium bowl and beat well. Slowly pour 1/2 cup of cornstarch mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Pour egg yolk mixture back into cornstarch mixture in double boiler, continuing to whisk constantly. Return double boiler to heat and cook mixture 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Stir butter or margarine, lemon juice, and lemon rind into thickened mixture. Allow mixture to cool, then pour into pie shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a large metal or glass mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add 6 tablespoons sugar a little at a time, continuing to beat until all sugar is incorporated and whites are stiff. Spread meringue into pie shell, making sure to completely cover lemon filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, just until meringue is golden brown. Chill before serving.
old fashioned lemon pie, recipe