- 1/2 pound poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (100 degrees F/38 degrees C)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg, separated - white reserved
- Place poppy seeds into a food processor and process until seeds are ground, about 1 minute.
- Mix poppy seeds with 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, lemon juice, and hot milk in a bowl; stir to combine. Cover poppy seed filling and refrigerate while making bread (filling will set up and thicken as it chills).
- Mix yeast with water and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Allow to stand until the yeast forms a creamy layer.
- Whisk flour with salt in a bowl; use a pastry cutter to cut 1/4 cup butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour yeast mixture and egg yolk into flour mixture and stir to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and slightly springy, about 5 minutes. If dough is too sticky, knead in more flour, about 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Cut dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece out into a 12x16-inch rectangle.
- Spread half the poppy seed filling over each rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold the 1-inch border back over the filling on all sides and press down.
- Pick up the shorter side of a dough rectangle and roll it like a jelly roll; repeat with second rectangle. Pinch ends together or tuck ends under to prevent filling from leaking out.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; place rolls seam sides down on the baking sheet and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat egg white in a bowl until frothy; brush the rolls with beaten egg white.
- Bake in preheated oven until dark golden brown on top, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cover rolls with a clean kitchen towel until cool to keep crust soft. Cool completely before slicing.
old world poppy seed roll, Yeast Bread recipe