- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 large orange, sliced in rounds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (225 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, beat together egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until mixture is thick and lemon-colored. Add flour, melted butter, grated orange rind, and orange juice. Mix thoroughly, then pour into pastry shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake an additional 25 minutes, until custard is set.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Spread meringue over pie, covering completely. Return to oven for 10 minutes, until meringue is golden brown. Cool before serving. Garnish with orange slices.
Orange Custard Pie, recipe