- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup milk, or as needed
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting, or to taste
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. .
- Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil and spray pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread slices in baking dish, either flat and tightly fit together, or standing at an angle and slightly overlapping if necessary.
- Whisk milk, eggs, maple syrup, molasses, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt together in a bowl. Mix in melted butter.
- Pour milk and egg mixture over bread, turning to ensure slices are evenly moistened on both sides. Cover dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove baking dish from refrigerator, uncover, and baste bread slices with any excess liquid in the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until slices are firm and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Overnight Gingerbread French Toast, recipe