- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped arugula, stems included
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry pasta
- Combine the walnuts, garlic, arugula, and cilantro or basil in a food processor or blender. Whirl them just until they are coarsely chopped. While the machine is running, add the olive oil in a thin stream. Transfer the pesto to a bowl. (At this point the pesto can be frozen. Thaw it before proceeding.)
- Stir the Parmesan cheese, salt, and cayenne into the pesto
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook it, stirring occasionally, until it is just tender. Drain the pasta, return it to the empty pot, and toss it with the pesto, adding a tablespoon or two of water if necessary to distribute the pesto evenly.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl or to individual plates, garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.
pasta with arugula pesto, Pesto Pasta recipe