- 6 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 passion fruits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Grease interior of 8 inch springform pan and dust lightly with cornstarch.
- Beat egg whites, preferably in a glass or ceramic bowl, until stiff and glossy. Make sure egg whites have absolutely no contact with grease (fresh or residual), or even a speck of yolk. Combine cream of tartar, white sugar, and cornstarch; gradually beat in to the egg whites. Sprinkle vinegar over egg white mixture, then fold it in very gently.
- Pile meringue into prepared pan. Spread to the sides leaving a slight depression in the center. Place in preheated oven. Close the oven door, and immediately turn oven down to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Bake for 75 to 90 minutes. Open oven door, but leave meringue in the oven for 15 more minutes. Remove meringue to a draft free spot. Very carefully remove rim of springform pan, and allow meringue to cool completely. There may be a slight sinking in the center. Carefully remove meringue from pan base, and place on serving platter.
- Whip cream, vanilla extract, and confectioners' sugar until thick and firm. Gently spread over the meringue.
- Remove the pulp from the passion fruit, and spoon over cream. If using kiwi, peel and slice the fruit; arrange slightly overlapping slices in a pleasing design. Chill until serving time.
pavlova deluxe, recipe