- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 (16 ounce) jars Alfredo sauce
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 2 cups Parmesan cheese into a shallow bowl.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in penne and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink.
- Dip chicken breasts into the beaten egg whites.
- Press chicken into Parmesan cheese in shallow bowl to coat both sides.
- Gently toss between your hands so any cheese that hasn't stuck can fall away. Place the chicken on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake chicken breasts in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 18 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Meanwhile, heat Alfredo sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and red pepper flakes in a large saucepan over low heat. Allow to simmer while you finish the remaining steps.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat; cook and stir mushrooms and spinach until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir vegetables into the sauce.
- Place the penne pasta into a serving bowl; slice chicken breasts and arrange over the pasta.
- Pour sauce over the pasta and chicken, and sprinkle remaining 1 cup Parmesan cheese on top.
Penne Rosa with Parmesan Crusted Chicken, recipe