- 1 (16 ounce) box penne pasta
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pasta boiling water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the penne, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink, reserving 1/2 cup of the water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the sausage pieces, garlic, and red pepper flakes in the hot pan until the sausage is no longer pink on the outside, about 4 minutes. Stir in the broccoli rabe and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Pour in the reserved 1/2 cup of pasta boiling water. Cover, and cook until the sausage is no longer pink in the center and the broccoli rabe is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir the cooked pasta, broccoli rabe, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese together until evenly mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper to serve.
Penne with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe, recipe