- Achiote Sauce:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup achiote paste
- 1/4 onion
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 (4 ounce) fillets white fish fillets
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 12 ounces uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Habanero Sauce:
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 habanero chiles, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine 3/4 cup water, achiote paste, onion, juice of 2 limes, juice of 1 orange, vinegar, garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano, salt, and pepper in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Season both sides of the fish fillets with salt and pepper, then brush the top with melted butter. Arrange fish fillets in a baking dish. Add shrimp on top and cover with achiote sauce. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Place red onion and habanero peppers in a glass bowl. Add 1 cup water, juice of 1/2 orange, and juice of 1 lime; stir well and season with salt, peppercorns, and Mexican oregano.
- Serve fish and shrimp with achiote sauce and top with habanero sauce.
Pescado en Achiote (Mexican Fish in Annatto Sauce), recipe