- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 6 large Vidalia onions
- 3/4 pound ground spicy pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking dish.
- In a saucepan bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel onions and slice off the tops; boil for 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Drain, cool and remove the centers, leaving the shell intact. Chop onion centers and reserve 1/2 cup.
- Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside, reserving drippings. Saute green pepper and 1/2 cup chopped onion in sausage drippings.
- In a large bowl combine green pepper, onion, sausage, egg, 1 cup cooked rice, cream cheese, oregano and parsley. Spoon mixture into onion shells and place in prepared dish. Combine melted butter and paprika; brush tops of onions.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Uncover, and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Peter's Baked Stuffed Onions, recipe