- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds chipped chopped ham
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- 1 cup pickle relish (optional)
- Preheat an oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir the onions in the butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir the ketchup, vinegar, water, brown sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce into the skillet with the onions; simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in the ham; cook until heated through and the sauce is bubbling, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- While the ham simmers, heat the kaiser rolls in the preheated oven until toasted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches by dividing the ham mixture among the toasted kaiser rolls, topping the ham with pickle relish. Serve hot.
pittsburgh ham barbecues, recipe