- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 6 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the 3 cups flour and the salt. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 10 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Divide the dough into sixteen equal pieces and form into rounds. Roll rounds into square loaves 1/4 inch thick. Place the on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 4 to 5 minutes, until loaves puff in the middle. Let cool on a wire rack.
Pocket Bread, recipe