- 2 cups chopped portobello mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons dried basil, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, green pepper, onion and garlic, and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, and stir in the tomato paste. Bring to a boil, and add the lentils. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, and top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of sherry and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to taste.
Portobello Mushroom Lentil Soup, recipe