- 1/2 pound thick sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 pinch paprika (optional)
- Cook the bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium heat until the fat has rendered, and the bacon is crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove the bacon, leaving the grease in the pan. Stir the carrot, celery, and bay leaf into the bacon grease; cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the milk, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once simmering, cook for 5 minutes, whisking frequently. Add the bacon, cooked vegetables, potatoes, and corn. Return to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes more. Use additional milk as needed to to achieve desired consistency. Garnish with paprika to serve.
Potato, Bacon, and Corn Chowder, recipe