- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups black beans, undrained
- 1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
- 2 cups water
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; cook and stir mushrooms, onion, carrot, green bell pepper, celery, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, basil, and oregano until the onion begins to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, black beans and their liquid, tomato paste, red wine, hot pepper sauce, and water.
- Bring the chili to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
pub-style vegetarian chili, Vegetarian recipe