- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the bell pepper and onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in the garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the pumpkin puree, black beans, corn, chicken broth, tomato sauce, and 1 teaspoon cilantro; season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a gentle boil; reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream and additional cilantro, if desired.
Pumpkin Bean Soup, recipe