- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans
- Stir the quinoa in a saucepan over medium heat until it begins to take on a toasty aroma, about 5 minutes. Pour in the water, and add pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and cayenne pepper; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the sweet potato is soft, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour a splash of water into the skillet if needed to keep the vegetables from burning. Spoon the vegetable mixture over a bed of quinoa, and sprinkle with chopped pecans to serve.
Quinoa with Sweet Potato and Mushrooms, recipe