- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast mixture, butter, remaining white sugar, egg, whole wheat flour and salt; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours and up to one week.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the dough into small even pieces. Form the dough into rounds, and place in greased muffin tins. Let dough rise until nearly doubled, about 60 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden.
Refrigerator Rolls, recipe