- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sherry
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 1 cup minced celery
- 2 cups unpeeled, minced red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 pound cooked shrimp
- 1/2 pound scallops
- 2 cups clam juice
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion in oil and sherry, until soft. Add carrots, celery, and potato and saute 2 minutes. Add clam juice and cover. Simmer until potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Puree half of the mixture in a blender until smooth, then return to stock pot.
- Add tomato paste, cayenne, milk, half and half, shrimp, and scallops. Bring to boil, lower heat to simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if desired.
Richard's Seafood Chowder, recipe