- 6 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pound cooked crabmeat, flaked
- Set the oven to broil, and preheat for 5 minutes.
- Place the red bell pepper quarters skin-side up on a broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil until the skins have blackened, then place them in a brown paper bag, or in a covered bowl and allow them to steam for approximately 10 minutes to loosen the skins.
- Once the skins have loosened, peel them off and discard. Coarsely chop the peeled, roasted peppers, and place into a large saucepan along with the chicken broth and chopped potato. Bring to a boil over high heat, then add the half-and-half, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and basil. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Once the potatoes have softened, puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into another saucepan and stir in the crab. Heat over medium heat to warm through, about 5 minutes.
Roasted Red Pepper and Crab Soup, recipe