- 6 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 10 cups torn romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Place vinegar, sugar, red onion, mustard powder, and salt into the bowl of a blender. Cover, and puree on high until smooth. Reduce blender speed to medium-low; slowly pour in the vegetable oil and blend until incorporated and the dressing is creamy. Stir in the poppy seeds and set aside.
- To serve, toss the romaine in a large bowl with the crumbled bacon, Mandarin oranges, and enough dressing to moisten. Place onto salad plates and sprinkle with toasted almonds.
romaine and mandarin orange salad with poppy seed dressing, Romaine Lettuce Salad recipe