- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed beef consomme
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1/2 pound pearl onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- Season the beef with salt and pepper, and place in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly brown, and drain.
- In a slow cooker, mix the beef broth, condensed beef consomme, wine, water, mustard, and thyme. Place beef into the liquid, and stir in the potatoes, carrots, and onions.
- Cover, and cook 6 hours on Low or 4 hours on High. If you prefer a thick stew, mix the cornstarch and water together and stir into the slow cooker about 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Stir occasionally until thickened.
Rustic Slow Cooker Stew, recipe