- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 3/4 cup shortening, chilled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal® Fine Sea Salt
- 6 tablespoons ice-cold water, or more as needed
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon Diamond Crystal® Fine Sea Salt
- 8 Red Delicious apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 (11 ounce) package caramels, unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon water, or more as needed
- Vanilla ice cream
- Diamond Crystal® Coarse Sea Salt
- Blend flour and 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal(R) Fine Sea Salt in mixing bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture using a pastry blender until it resembles pea-sized crumbs. Sprinkle ice water over the top, 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix gently with a fork after each addition until dough holds together. Divide the dough into 2 pieces; one a little larger than the other. Flatten into round disks, wrap in plastic film, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Put apple slices in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon extract. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, Diamond Crystal(R) Fine Sea Salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle sugar mixture over apples and mix to distribute evenly.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Lightly flour flat rolling surface. Roll out the larger disk until it is 2 inches bigger than the pie plate. Carefully place crust into bottom of pie plate, and press evenly into bottom and sides. Pierce the botton with a fork several times. Fill bottom crust with filling and dot with butter pats.
- Roll out top crust and carefully place over top. Fold bottom crust edge over top and flute. Cut 2 to 4 slits in top. Cover edges of crust with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil for the last 15 minutes. Cool on rack. Serve warm, if desired.
- Make topping just before serving. Place caramels in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of water. Heat for 1 minute at a time on high stirring after each time until caramels are creamy, but no more than 3 minutes. Add additional water, if needed, to get desired consistency.
- Top slices of pie with your favorite vanilla ice cream. Drizzle caramel sauce over ice cream and pie. Then sprinkle a pinch of Diamond Crystal(R) Coarse Sea Salt over the caramel sauce.
Salted Caramel Apple Pie a la Mode, recipe