- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 12 cups fresh serviceberries
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Bring water and lemon juice to a boil in a large pot; stir in serviceberries. Return mixture to a boil.
- Whisk sugar and cornstarch together in a bowl. Stir sugar mixture into berries; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is clear, about 3 minutes.
- Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack pie filling into hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above tops of jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
Saskatoon Berry Pie Filling, recipe